Millions of students of all ages know how to play with building blocks in the popular computer game of Minecraft. In this open virtual world, however, teachers and students can also develop the digital age skills of creativity, critical thinking, collaboration, and communication while constructing learning communities. Participants in this workshop will experience the world of Minecraft firsthand; discover the basics of the program; and explore new strategies for teaching with Minecraft in their classrooms.
Let’s Play Math
- What is Literacy Math?
- Why Use Minecraft?
- Research – And why all Minecraft projects need it.
- Examples of student builds and instruction sheets.
- Designing a Minecraft Project
Designing a Minecraft Project
- How to use Minecraft (classroom rules/basic controls).
- Create your own project, or complete a pre-designed project.
- Present your build!
- Questions/Closing thoughts.
For more information, visit Mitch Brotherton’s blog at www.mrbyot.com.